About Nationwide JR Pass Ordinary
PRICES WILL INCREASE BY 180% FROM OCT 2023 - PLEASE PLAN YOUR PURCHASE IN ADVANCE FOR BETTER SAVINGS
FOR THOSE TRAVELLING IN 2024, SHOULD YOU MAKE A PURCHASE FROM THIS SITE MORE THAN 90 DAYS BEFOREHAND, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE BEFORE YOUR COLLECTION DATE
EXCHANGE ORDER HAS TO BE TURNED IN FOR EXCHANGE OF THE RAIL PASS IN JAPAN WITHIN 90 DAYS FROM THE ISSUE DATE ON THE EXCHANGE ORDER
EXCHANGE ORDERS ISSUED FROM OCT 2023 WILL BE BASED ON THE NEW PRICING IMPLEMENTED BY JR RAIL COMPANY
The Nationwide Japan Rail Pass (Ordinary) grants you unlimited rides on almost all JR trains and Shinkasen (excluding "Nozomi" and "Mizuho" trains) across the entire Japan except Okinawa. You can also ride on most of the local lines of JR Buses, Tokyo Monorail and JR-West Miyajima Ferry. Get your pass now to conquer all the prefectures on your upcoming trip to Japan!
Seat reservations for JR Pass Ordinary holders are not necessary but recommended, especially for groups that travel together.After booking online, you can collect your Japan Rail Pass Exchange Order (EO) on the collection date and at the preferred Changi Recommends booth indicated during your booking process. Remember to collect your Physical Exchange Order from Changi Recommends counter before checking in for your flight.
On arrival in Japan, turn in your Exchange Order to receive a JAPAN RAIL PASS at exchange locations here: https://japanrailpass.net/en/exchange.html
You have to turn in your Exchange Order (with your passport) to receive your JAPAN RAIL PASS at a JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office in a major JR station.
● You cannot use an Exchange Order when you travel on JR lines. Turn in your Exchange Order and obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS at one of the JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices.
● Please pay attention to the business hours and non-working days of the exchange locations.
● The type of PASS stated on the Exchange Order cannot be changed.
● If you are unable to present the Exchange Order due to loss or theft, a PASS cannot be issued and there will be no refund for lost exchange orders.
● The Exchange Order cannot be exchanged for a PASS if the eligibility requirements are not met.
● Your Exchange Order must be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS within three months of the date the Order was issued. However, the exchange can be made from one month before the date of use. （for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14. If the use date is May 30, the exchange can be made from April 30.）
● It may take time to turn in your Exchange Order and receive a JAPAN RAIL PASS if the service counter is busy. Please ensure you leave enough time when you visit the exchange office.
Important: The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo and Kyushu Shinkansen lines.
The pass holders must take “HIKARI,” “SAKURA,” “KODAMA,” or “TSUBAME” trains.) If you use a “NOZOMI” or “MIZUHO” train, you are required to pay the basic fare and the limited express charge, and for a Green Car, the additional Green Car surcharge. In addition, if you use the GranClass car of the Tōhoku Shinkansen, Hokkaido Shinkansen, Jōetsu Shinkansen and Hokuriku Shinkansen, you must pay the limited express charge and the GranClass car surcharge.
Note also that passengers using JR trains on non-JR lines must pay additional fares and charges for sections traveled on such lines. Some JR trains use the lines of private railways for direct services. Depending on the train car or railway section, if there are restrictions in place on the maximum number of seats, it may not be possible to secure designed reserved seats even if there is a vacancy.
Condition of use:
- The JAPAN RAIL PASS (hereinafter referred to the “PASS”) is only valid for the person who meets the usage qualifications such as being a foreign national visiting Japan with the entry status of a Temporary Visitor.
- At the time of the purchase and exchange order of the PASS, your passport information will be registered to the PASS. The PASS is only valid for the person whose passport information is registered (hereinafter referred to as the “User”) and may not be reassigned to another person.
- To be issued the PASS, the User needs to exchange for it at the ticket office.
- A PASS with overlapping periods of use regardless of the type of PASS cannot be purchased or exchanged with the same passport information.
- When using your Pass, you can either pass through the automatic ticket gate or present it to an attendant at a manned ticket gate. At the manned ticket gate, the attendant will apply a stamp to your Pass. When passing through the manned ticket gate, always present your Pass to the attendant so that the period of validity is clearly visible.
- While using the PASS, you must always carry your passport and be prepared to present it to a station attendant or a car conductor when requested.
- The PASS is valid on all Japan Railways (JR) Group Shinkansen “bullet trains” (except for the “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains), limited express trains, express trains, and local trains (Green Car passes are valid for Green Car travel) in addition to the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit system).
- The Pass is also valid for travel on the JR WEST Miyajima Ferry between Miyajima and Miyajimaguchi, buses operated by JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Tohoku Bus, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus, and the Tokyo Monorail.
- However, please note that the PASS is not valid for travel on JR Group buses that travel on express bus routes and some local bus routes.
- The PASS is not valid for travel on the “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” Shinkansen trains (including non-reserved seats on both). To board these trains, you must pay for the basic fare and the limited express charge.
- The routes covered by the PASS are subject to change.
- Please note that the PASS cannot be reissued if it is lost or stolen.
- Once you start using the PASS, the periods of use cannot be extended, nor will any refund be issued, even if trains and other qualifying transportation services are suspended or delayed for any reason, including natural disasters. Moreover, the JR Group will not bear additional costs due to changes in your route, such as alternative transportation costs or accommodation charges. In addition to the terms and conditions set forth above, when using the PASS, you must obey the JR Group’s regulations, terms and conditions, and the laws of Japan.
- The information displayed (including prices) is current and is subjected to change without prior notice.