About JR EAST PASS - Tohoku area (Electronic EO)
- Prices will increase for orders issued from 1st Oct 2023 – please plan your purchase in advance for better savings
- For those travelling in 2024, should you make a purchase from this site more than 90 days beforehand, you will be contacted to pay the difference in price before your collection date
- Exchange order has to be turned in for exchange of the rail pass in Japan within 90 days from the issue date indicated on the exchange order
- Exchange orders issued from 01st Oct 2023 will be based on the new pricing implemented by the Japan Rail Company
Travel beyond Tokyo with the JR East Tohoku Area Pass which allows you to enjoy unlimited rides within the East region-Tohoku on Shinkansen. With this pass, you can explore the Kanto area trailing Tokyo, Gala Yuzawa and Nikko all the way to the Tohoku area (Sendai City of Miyagi, Yamagata, Akita, Aomori etc). Catch the "Joyful Train" series where you can ride on the Pikachu train "POKEMON with You"!
Within the covered region, this pass allows unlimited rides using Non-reserved Seats and Reserved Seats on ordinary cars on the Shinkansen, limited express trains, express trains, and local trains (including BRT) on JR EAST lines, Izu Kyuko Lines, Tokyo Monorail lines, Aoimori Railway, Iwate Galaxy Railway (IGR) and Non-reserved Seats and Reserved Seats on the limited express / express trains or ordinary trains (including rapid service) on all Sendai Airport Lines, as well as on both JR Bus Tohoku, and JR Bus Kanto lines (excluding highway express buses and certain other bus routes).
It is also valid for travel on Reserved Seats in ordinary cars of limited express trains that directly run between the JR lines and Tobu Railway lines such as "Nikko", "Kinugawa", and "SPACIA Kinugawa", as well as the Non-reserved Seats in ordinary cars of local trains between Shimo-imaichi and Tobu-nikko/ Kinugawa-onsen Stations on the Tobu Railway lines. In addition to reserve the Reserved Seats, pass holders can freely use Non-reserved Seats on the above trains.
Recommended for those who:
- wants to go to Tohoku by Shinkansen and enjoy Sendai suburbs such as Fox Village!
- would like to extend their legs further and travel around multiple areas in Tohoku such as Yamagata Zao, Akita Shirakami, and Aomori Oirase by Shinkansen!
- enjoy sightseeing in the suburbs of Tokyo such as Shinjuku, Akihabara, and Kamakura!
Railway companies and lines you can use:
JR East (including BRT*) *BRT: bus rapid transit
Izu Kyuko Line
Aoimori Railway Line
Iwate Galaxy Railway (IGR) Line
Sendai Airport Transit Line
Reserved seats in ordinary cars of the following express trains with through operations between JR East and Tobu Railway lines: Nikko, Kinugawa, and SPACIA Kinugawa trains.
You can also use ordinary trains (including rapid trains) on the Tobu Railway lines between Shimo-imaichi and Tōbu-nikkō / Kinugawa-onsen.
Between Kurihashi and Shimo-imaichi, you can only use express trains that have through operations with Tobu Railway.**
- Some JR bus routes can also be used. Click here for a map of JR buses in the area (excluding highways and some route buses)
- Limited express trains departing from and arriving at Tobu Railway lines cannot be used.**
- The JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) can be used on Tobu Railways only if either the departure station or the arrival station is a JR line.**
- JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) cannot be used on the Tokaido Shinkansen. (Because the Tokaido Shinkansen is operated by another company)
- GALA Yuzawa Station is open only from winter to spring.
- A child’s age on the date of purchase is used to make decisions regarding age restrictions. You must prove your child’s age with a passport or other form of identification.
- Children under the age of 6 do not require a pass, unless you wish to reserve seats.
- An additional fee is required for use of Green Cars and GranClass trains.
- This pass does not have student discounts or youth fares.
- You can only use one JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) at a time while travelling in Japan. (You cannot purchase two of the same type of pass if they have overlapping periods of validity)
- Any request for processing cancellations or refunds for this pass (if not activated in Japan) is subjected to an admin fee of 15% on your total order amount.