About JR EAST PASS - Nagano, Niigata Area (Electronic EO)
- Prices will increase for orders issued from 1st Oct 2023 – please plan your purchase in advance for better savings
- For those travelling in 2024, should you make a purchase from this site more than 90 days beforehand, you will be contacted to pay the difference in price before your collection date
- Exchange order has to be turned in for exchange of the rail pass in Japan within 90 days from the issue date indicated on the exchange order
- Exchange orders issued from 01st Oct 2023 will be based on the new pricing implemented by the Japan Rail Company
The JR East Niigata and Nagano Area Pass gives you unlimited access to travel on JR East Line, Izu Kyuko Line, Hokuetsu Express, Echigo TOKImeki Railway: Arai-Naoetsu and Tokyo Monorail. This pass also offers special discounts if you are going to GALA Yuzawa Snow Resort for skiing. You can also catch the "JOYFUL Train" series such as the art gallery train "Genbi Shinkansen" that runs from Echigo-Yuzawa to Niigata!
Within the covered region, this pass allows unlimited rides using Non-reserved Seats and Reserved Seats on ordinary cars on the Shinkansen, limited express trains, express trains, and local trains (including rapid service) on JR EAST lines, Izu Kyuko Lines, Tokyo Monorail lines, all Hokuetsu Express lines, and Non-reserved Seats and Reserved Seats on the limited express / express trains or ordinary trains (including rapid trains) on Echigo TOKImeki Railway lines (Naoetsu Station–Arai Station), as well as JR Bus Kanto lines (excluding highway express busses and certain other bus routes).
It is also valid for travel on Reserved Seats in ordinary cars of limited express trains that directly run between the JR lines and Tobu Railway lines such as "Nikko", "Kinugawa", and "SPACIA Kinugawa", as well as the Non-reserved Seats in ordinary cars of local trains between Shimo-imaichi and Tobu-nikko/ Kinugawa-onsen Stations on the Tobu Railway lines. In addition to reserve the Reserved Seats, pass holders can freely use Non-reserved Seats on the above trains.
Railway companies and routes that can be used:
JR East Line
Entire Tokyo Monorail line
All Izukyu Lines
All Hokuetsu Express Lines
Echigo Tokimeki Railway between Naoetsu and Arai
Ordinary car reserved seats on the limited express trains "Nikko," "Kinugawa," and "Spacia Kinugawa," which are directly operated by JR East and Tobu Railway.
Local trains (including rapid trains) between Shimoimaichi and Tobu Nikko and Kinugawa Onsen on the Tobu Railway line are also available.
Between Kurihashi and Shimo-Imaichi, only limited express trains that are directly connected to Tobu Railway can be used. *
Click here for a map of JR buses in the area (excluding highways and some route buses)
- * Limited express trains departing from and arriving at Tobu Railway lines cannot be used.
- The JR EAST PASS (Nagano, Niigata area) can be used on Tobu Railways only if either the departure or arrival station is a JR line.
- Gala Yuza Station only operates during Winter and Spring
- JR EAST PASS (Nagano, Niigata area) cannot be used on the Tokaido Shinkansen. (Because the Tokaido Shinkansen is operated by another company)
- The area between Minami-Otari and Itoigawa on the Oito Line and between Itoigawa and Joetsu-Myoko on the Hokuriku Shinkansen are not included in the pass area.
- If you are using the Hokuriku Shinkansen from Itoigawa, please purchase a passenger ticket or limited express ticket between Itoigawa and Joetsumyoko separately.
- A child’s age on the date of purchase is used to make decisions regarding age restrictions. You must prove your child’s age with a passport or other form of identification.
- Children under the age of 6 do not require a pass, unless you wish to reserve seats.
- An additional fee is required for use of Green Cars and GranClass trains.
- This pass does not have student discounts or youth fares.
- You can only use one JR EAST PASS (Nagano, Niigata area) at a time while travelling in Japan. (You cannot purchase two of the same type of pass if they have overlapping periods of validity)
- Any request for processing cancellations or refunds for this pass (if not activated in Japan) is subjected to an admin fee of 15% on your total order amount.
Recommended for those who:
- want to go to Niigata by Shinkansen and experience culture and history (gastronomy) through food such as sake, rice, and fish!
- want to travel around multiple areas of Shinshu, such as Nagano, Matsumoto, and Hakuba, using the Shinkansen and limited express trains!
- enjoy sightseeing in the suburbs of Tokyo such as Shinjuku, Akihabara, and Kamakura!